WRITE YOUR LIFE
Two Pages at a Time
As humans, we communicate through stories, so you are a natural born storyteller, and with a little practice you can write your stories for yourself.
BUT WHY SHOULD I WRITE?
Anthropologist Mary Catherine Bateson says we are all engaged in an “act of creation…which is the composition of our lives” and storytelling is how we make sense of that act. In doing so we create a coherent narrative, which is a key source of meaning.
Writing is a way of examining memories and sorting through them. We all have internalized stories we create, about who we are, how we got the way we are.
Putting these memories on paper may help you understand the past and also help you find what you want more of in your life.
In Write Your Life – Two Pages at a Time you’ll get support for your exploration of YOUR story. Each week I’ll share a theme, we’ll do some writing warm ups and then we’ll share stories in a supportive, safe and fun environment.
During the workshop you’ll…
- Write five stories on central themes of your life
- Create a writing habit and become a more confident writer
- Find deeper connection to your own story
- Share your story with your fellow writers, creating connection and community.
The course is 5 weeks.
February 7, 14, 21, 28 and March 7.
Thursdays 9:30-11:30 am Pacific Time.
I invite you to join me.
Space is limited as I want the group to be small. That way we get to know each other and I can give individual attention to everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is this class for?
This class is for you if you want to:
- Learn more about yourself and your own story
- Write stories for yourself or others
- Start a memoir or collection of short stories about your life
- Find a fun and sharing community of learners
- Deepen connections to yourself, others and your classmates in a safe and joyful environment
What results should I expect?
- Through consistent writing and receiving feedback you’ll become a more confident writer
- By exploring your story you’ll start to create your own coherent narrative and find more meaning
- You’ll have the tools to create your own writing habit and continue to write on your own
- In sharing with others you’ll build connections.
How does the class work?
- We meet on Zoom, a free online video conferencing platform. We all see and hear each other, just like in an in person class.
- Each class is two hours with lots of writing prompts, tips and sharing of stories. Each week, between classes, you write a story to read to the class. Feedback is constructive, positive and gentle. By seeing what resonates with your listeners, you become a better writer and storyteller.
- By sharing you’ll develop community with your classmates.
How much time will I need?
- Each class is two hours.
- Between classes you’ll write a two page story. Time will vary on how fast you find your story, how you like to write and edit and how much time you have available.
- The average time spent writing each story is between one and three hours. Spending time thinking about the story, with help from the thought questions I provide, makes writing go faster and smoother.
Five two hour classes, content rich materials, written comments from me and feedback from your classmates. Community, connection and a writing habit!
$329. Early Price of $229 through February 5th!
Interested but not sure?
Contact me here and we’ll set up a time to chat so I can answer your questions.
Here’s what clients say about working with me:
Thank you for your excellent teaching skills you brought to your class. Your warmth, compassion and enthusiasm for each student’s writing, regardless of level of skill, made it safe to explore and write about our deepest feelings. Your passion for storytelling and positive feedback helped us in turning our memories into interesting stories.
Thank you for the warm, receptive and non-threatening atmosphere you created in your Write Your Life classes. You made it easy to share and easy to think of valuable things to write about.
I enrolled with a small group of women entrepreneurs, and with Melanie’s guidance, support and encouragement, I felt safe and confident in my own voice. The group gelled magnificently as we explored themes from our pasts, events and people that I had not thought of in years. Her materials and thoughtful guidance helped my words literally flow off the page!
Melanie is creative and organized. Her materials are excellent and thought provoking and she is a generous teacher.
I can’t wait to continue the process. It is rewarding, fun, even cathartic. And how reassuring to know that some of my life’s memories are neatly “recorded”, not to be forgotten!
Hello, I’m Melanie Vetter a transformative writing coach and storyteller helping you use your stories to connect with yourself and people who matter to you. Through writing your stories you will find meaning for yourself and share love, wisdom, gratitude and hopes and dreams with the people you care about. The result – deeper connections, stronger relationships and enhanced gratitude. I can’t wait to see whose life you will touch.
I guide my clients through intentional techniques to help them find their stories and write them.
I take you step by step on how to start a writing habit, how to find stories, write and edit them and, if you want, how to share them with others.
You already have stories. I want to help you find a way to capture and share them and find joy and meaning in the process.
Just email me at email@example.com for a complimentary phone consult on how we can work together to meet your needs.